I’ve already commented on the review process for IPCC AR5 WG1, noting that the review took place in two stages (the FOD and the SOD) and that virtually anyone can sign up to be an “expert reviewer”. Around 1500 people registered for each round, with 659 submitting comments on the FOD and 800 on the SOD, according to this IPCC fact sheet. The IPCC has now published a list of all the expert reviewers. Presumably this list includes those who submitted reviews of the FOD or the SOD or both.
A (possibly) interesting question is whether many of those who take a sceptical view of climate science and the IPCC took part in the review process. Sceptics are divided on this. On the one hand, some say that the entire process is irretrievably flawed, that sceptical comments are ignored, and that the IPCC authors will just write what they like in the final version of the report, so engaging in the review is pointless. Others argue that this is unduly cynical, that one should take part in the review process and that if you don’t, you are on weak ground if you complain later about the content of the report.
After a quick look through the list, here are some names of sceptics (interpreted in a fairly broad sense as those who are known for being critical of the IPCC) who did take part in the review:
- John Christy – USA – Climate scientist at the University of Alabama in Huntsville
- Petr Chylek – USA – Climate scientist at Los Alamos
- Marcel Crok – Netherlands – blogger and author
- Don Easterbrook – USA – Geologist, Western Washington University (emeritus)
- Vincent Gray – New Zealand – Chemist (retired), prolific IPCC critic
- Nicholas Lewis – UK – Independent climate scientist with some published papers
- Paul Matthews – UK – Who?
- Ross McKitrick – Canada – Economist, University of Guelph, co-author with McIntyre
- John McLean – Australia – IT specialist, writes media and web articles
- Christopher Monckton – UK – Universally acknowledged as a top expert in the field
- Alec Rawls – USA – Writer, blogger and leaker of the AR5 SOD
- S. Fred Singer – USA – Environmental scientist, University of Virginia (retired)
Of course there may be many more sceptical reviewers, whose names are not familiar to me. Please let me know if you spot some more. Notable by their absence are the sceptic bloggers (Andrew Montford, Joanna Nova, Steve McIntyre, Anthony Watts, Judith Curry, Jeff Condon, Lucia Liljegren, Donna Laframboise…). As previously noted, McIntyre has stated that he was not prepared to agree to the confidentiality agreement, while Watts did register as a reviewer but presumably did not actually submit review comments.